Monday, March 21, 2011

The New Oven / Microwave

When we ordered the new oven/microwave combo (yes, ordered on the internet... saved us about $600 over Home Depot), it was scheduled to arrive around Gabriel's due date. Perfect timing, I thought, since I'd be home for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it arrived the day before his birth. As Sarah blogged already, the installation began around the time of her first contraction. And so it began...


I managed to remove the old oven and cut the hole without too much trouble, just a lot of sawdust and mess. And as Sarah mentioned, I left a laboring wife to get a "man tool".


Since I had no one else to help me, I decided to use a couple chairs to support the old oven. It was too big and heavy for me to move. I thought it was genius, until I realized the oven would remain there as Sarah and I spent the next few days in the hospital. Fortunately, a couple guy friends moved the oven to the garage while I was gone.


After returning from the hospital, we received our first dinner from a friend. It needed to be baked in the oven {smile}. A knock on the neighbors door, 350F degrees, and 25 min later we had a dinner. At this point I realized not having an oven or microwave might be a problem. The new oven was in the garage, and it tipped the scales around 250lbs. Getting it up the stairs would be no small task... for someone else. On the first lift I managed to tweak my back and spent the rest of the night on the floor. Three friends later (thanks guys), the oven was installed and has worked beautifully since.

No comments:

Post a Comment