Monday, May 30, 2011

Starting From Seed

Around the time I planted all the vegetable plants outside, I also planted some seeds inside. I bought a seed tray and planted a variety of lettuce, spinach and onions. I'm afraid I failed at my first attempt to start plants from seed. I thought it would be easy, especially since I have so many resources on the Internet. Well, I think I know why nothing sprouted. I read that the seeds should be soaked in water and placed away from direct sunlight. So I basically had all the little seed pots resting in a pool of water. I waited and waited.... and waited... and waited... nothing sprouted but a couple of onions. After more research, it seems that is the exact opposite of what I should have done.

So I'm on my second attempt now. This time, I dampened the soil (no pools of water this time) and placed it in direct sunlight. Guess what I have less than one week later? A TON of sprouts! Yipee!

I have a lot of lettuce now. I actually planted a few seeds in each pot this time, because I wasn't sure if they would all sprout, but lo and behold!



These are more onion sprouts.



I have one lone spinach sprout. Hopefully I'll get more of these. One is better than none!

No comments:

Post a Comment