Thursday, August 25, 2011

Peaches!

Peaches are my hubby's favorite! So, I decided to can some peaches this year so he could have them when they're not in season. It was my first time canning. My in-laws sent me this book on canning and preserving. The book is super helpful, by the way. I recommend it if you are interested in canning. Even with the book, though, I was nervous to try it for the first time. So, I do what I always do when it comes to kitchen things... I wait for my mom! When she came to visit, we bought fresh peaches from the farmers market (AMAZING!). We spent half the day canning peaches. It was so much easier than I thought it would be. I think doing with someone else is the best method. We pealed the peaches by blanching them in boiling water. Then we sliced them and stuck them in jars and filled the jar with a very light syrup. Then, we dunked the jars in boiling water for 30 minutes, and voila! After the jars were all done, we realized we could have packed the peaches in a lot more. Look at these. They are practically half juice.


So we got a little better the second round.

Of course, you have to eat some while you're working.


MMMMmmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment