Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homemade HDTV Antenna

I've had an HDTV for over 4 yrs, but never bothered spending the monthly fee with the cable company to have HDTV stations.  And now with Gabriel, we don't watch much TV.  But with the NFL season starting, I thought I'd try out this homemade HDTV antenna. Cardboard, duct tape, aluminum foil, staples, a 75 to 300 ohm matching transformer, and glue... I could do this.  After all, I do have a degree in Electrical Engineering.  I wasn't going for pretty (as you can see in the picture), just wanted to see if the antenna would work.  It works fantastic!!  I get all the local stations in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) along with a number of others.  Now, do I make another one that is pretty?  Sarah probably doesn't want this cardboard box sitting next to the TV.


2 comments:

  1. Can you share the specifics about the aluminum foil design? Do the lengths have a fixed requirement? Some are short lines, others are longer. Some go right , others left.

    Please educate and I will try building my one from this knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

    Sammy Benjamin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If u follow the link in the blog it will take you over to squidoo with all the instructions and pattern for antenna. U have to make it that size. U cannot upsize or downsize the length and direction of the aluminum foil design. I just traced the pattern on a sheet of aluminum foil and cut with scissors. I actually used staples to connect the matching transformer but u could use something that holds better like a screw and nut.

      Delete