Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pursley Family Visit

We recently got to spend a week with our family who came to visit the DC area, and we had a blast!

Our first destination was to Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown. First off, I was amazed at how much I didn't know. Or maybe I shouldn't be too surprised at my poor education. After all, I remember watching movies all semester in History class, instead of learning about the Revolutionary War. So I was soaking in all the information I could. And I am slightly mad that Disney's Pocahontas movie is so obviously wrong in their portrayal of Pocahontas's relationship with John Rolfe. I bet every little kid will forever think that Pocahontas actually married John Smith and they both lived happily ever after. Ummm, no! Wrong guy first off. She married John Rolfe, not John Smith, AND she died within one year of traveling back to England. Sad, but true. But I digress.

Michael, Ella and Evan. Ella loves horses, so we always stopped to pet them.

The Pursley family standing in front of the Governors mansion in Williamsburg. Ella, Holly, Michael and Evan making the funny face.

And the Sanders family.

Watch out! Evan is about to steal one of the governors swords!

Cousinly love. I can't even tell you how many times we heard Ella say "He's sooooo cute!".

Richard and Ella had fun pretending to be soldiers at the Jamestown Settlement.


And here we are aboard one of the ships.

A pumpkin picking we will go...



 

We also went to Mount Vernon, which was George Washington's estate. Did you know that George Washington loved farming? In fact, he may have told you he was a farmer before he mentioned anything about being a soldier or the president. And he was really smart too! He would experiment with different fertilizers to see what was best, and he even set up a crop rotation for his land. I am pretty sure there weren't many farmers that were that advanced with their farming strategy at that time. Here I am with Gabriel on the top deck of a small cruise boat that took us around the water surrounding Washington's land. It was a beautiful view!

Gabriel became quite attached to his older cousin, Evan. He would hug him, hold his hand and tackle him. Evan didn't seem too thrilled to have such a close shadow, but he was a good sport about it.

Gabriel loved having his cousins in the house to play with. We all had so much fun watching them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment