Friday, February 15, 2013

Welcome Hope Lynn Sanders - Birth Story

I have been told that only 4% of babies are actually born on their due date. Our daughter was born on her due date, but that is not the only reason she is so special. Hope Lynn Sanders was born January 13, 2013. She weighed 7 pounds, 5 ounces, and was 19 inches long. She practically came flying into the world. She must have been in a hurry! Here is her story.

At 4:30AM on Sunday, January 13, I woke with some contractions. I decided to get up and walk around to see if they would continue. After a few more, I woke up Richard and told him to pack our bags, while I took a warm shower. Around 7am the contractions stopped. Gabriel woke up, and we all took a family trip to the mall, where we did a LOT of walking in hopes the contractions would start again. On our way home, the contractions started again, but we continued to make lunch and put Gabriel down for his nap at 1PM. I called my doctor and told him my contractions were fairly consistent and seemed to be getting a little stronger. I also told him I didn't want to go in to the hospital yet, because I didn't want an epidural and I didn't want to be confined to a hospital bed. However, he said he really thought it was time for me to come in to the hospital.

So my neighbor came over to the house right when we put him down for his nap, and we headed to the hospital. It took about an hour and a half to finally get checked by a nurse at the hospital. Why do hospitals take so long to admit a woman in labor?! Very frustrating. Especially since I had already preregistered. Anyway, I will try not to vent about that here. After being told I was dilated by 4 cm, and at this time I was having very strong contractions, I figured the labor would take several more hours, and I asked for an epidural. Shortly after it turned into one of those Hollywood scenes, where I was in so much pain I was yelling. Only then did the nurses decide they should hurry things up. As soon as my doctor came in the room, he told everyone to hurry up the baby was going to come very quickly! Sure enough, I pushed three times, and there she was. When they handed her to me all I could say was "Oh baby!" It had only been 45 minutes since the nurse told me I was 4cm. Gosh, that was fast! I am so glad my doctor didn't let me stay at home.

Hope has been such a cutie pie and a delight to everyone who sees her. Richard and I are blessed to have been given this beautiful little life to love and to raise. Welcome to the world, sweet girl. Momma and Daddy are so happy to finally see you!


No comments:

Post a Comment