Thursday, July 9, 2015

Venice in May

I keep meaning to get better about posting updates to our blog. I know many family and friends still receive the updates and I want to use this as a way to keep in touch. So... here's my attempt at getting going again!

In May we visited Venice, but not all together as a family. Richard went with his sister and brother-in-law, Sarah and David. The kids and I went a few days later with my mom. Our visitors had a one-day overlap in Milan, which was fun.

This is Piazza San Marco. Located in this square are Doge's Palace, Basilica di San Marco, the bell tower, plus museums, shops and restaurants. It's quite large, and we enjoyed just taking in the sites from here.



This is a view of Venice from the water, where you can see the tower and Doge's palace to the right of the tower.


Doge's Palace is no longer a functioning palace. It used to be the Palace of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former republic of Venice. The palace has art and decor covering every wall and even the ceilings. This is a staircase with beautiful domed ceiling.


This is the Chamber of the Great Council, which is ornately decorated, and very large. Richard took a picture in the same spot as the kids and I, just a few days apart. So it's like we were there together, right?



Attached to the palace are the prison cells (weird, huh?), and there is a bridge that leads prisoners to their cell. Peaking through this bridge, pictured here, is the last view of the outside world the prisoners would have before being taken to their dark cell.


My mom and the kids and I went to Murano, which is a series of islands famous for making glass. In 1291, the glassmakers in Venice were forced to move to Murano. The thought was that if there were a fire to break out during the process of making glass, the factories would be isolated on a separate island than the residents of Venice. We picked up a couple souvenirs here, and I just had to get a glass ornament for my Christmas tree! Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture prior to packing it up.


A shot of me next to one of the many bridges.


And mom on another bridge.


Just a typical view of Venice from the water.


We couldn't go to Venice and not take a ride on a gondola. And we enjoyed every minute of it! We went through tight alleys where I was sure only one boat at a time could fit. We went past famous buildings, all of which I can't remember now. I think one was the residence of a famous composer at one time.... who knows.



Here is a view from the sidewalk of the  gondolas making their way through.


My only picture of Sarah and David in Venice. Hi guys!


And here, Richard, Sarah and David are proudly displaying their tasty gelato. When in Italy, eat lots of gelato!


No comments:

Post a Comment