Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Seeing God's Work

I remember the first time I told someone I wanted to be a stay at home mom. They looked confused and said "But why would you waste all your talent and hard work?" At the time I didn't really have an answer. Recently, however, God has shown me that I'm not wasting any of my talents and efforts. In fact, I can see how He has given me my talents for use in my current stay at home mom situation.

1. The thing people most often point out is my degree. Granted, I did pay a hefty sum, plus many a sleepless night, for that degree. However, I see now how it has come into play. My degree is in Electrical Engineering, and now I'm married to an Electrical Engineer. I can see how helpful it is to understand his mind at times. Our relationship has benefited from the common ways we communicate. We also like to manage our household the same way. On top of that, since I worked for the same company as him, I can really understand what he's talking about when he comes home and tells me about his day. These are things that I can't put a price on. Now that we've decided to Homeschool (more on that in another post). My degree will give me a big leg up in the areas of math and science when I teach my children.

2. My cooking. From the time I was old enough to do it safely, my mom had me helping her in the kitchen. When I got older, she asked me to start making family meals at least once a week. She made sure I learned the important talent of cooking. Now I feel confident in the kitchen. Not only that, but I really enjoy being in the kitchen. I can tell you my husband enjoys my meals just as much!

3. My sewing. I recently hemmed some fabric to make table cloths for a party. I've done various tasks like buttons, fixing ripped hems, etc. This is a good way I've been able to save money (thanks mom!)

4. My piano playing talent (if you can call it a talent since I'm not that good). Richard and I have recently started doing what we call "Family Worship". Basically, it's a time where we worship God together as a family. This includes some readings from the Bible as well as singing together. Richard asked me to learn how to play some worship songs on the piano. I have always been intimidated by playing while people sing along, because I feel like I'm not good enough. But, to honor his request, I went out and bought a book for "easy piano". The other day, we sang together while I played for the first time. Richard couldn't see since he and Gabriel were behind me, but my eyes were watering up as we sang. I realized that all the lessons my parents paid for all those years ago, and even the piano they invested in, is such a blessing to our family now! Even though I hit the wrong notes sometimes or paused because I didn't know the beat, I know God is smiling down on us, because we are singing something beautiful to his ears.

There are many things I would have thought were a lost talent or possibly a bad decision, but God knows the plans he has in mind for us. It's amazing to see all the pieces come together.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post! I got teary just reading it! You are an AMAZING wife, mommy and friend! I love you Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing Proverbs 31 woman!! You honor God in all that you do and your husband, family and friends are blessed by you everyday!

    I love you, Sarah, and am so excited to see God's work in you as you do His work for others.

    ReplyDelete