Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Topsy Turvy Disaster

I have always wanted to make a topsy turvy cake. That is a cake that has multiple layers that are each slanted and look as if they're going to fall over. Here is an example. I decided to make this type of cake for a wedding shower for my friends Veronica and Jordan. With my cake decorating partner, Danielle, I figured it would be a piece of cake! ;0)

We started by making the bottom tier with three layers. The bottom layer was a little smaller than the rest, because the sides would later be tapered in. This would give it  more "topsy turvy" look.


I then tapered the sides and cut a flat surface in the middle for the second tier to stack on.






The next step was covering the cake with fondant and decorating it. After this was done, we moved on to the middle tier, and stacked them together. In this picture, the cake has two of it's three tiers.




This was hard work, but we were still having so much fun! Danielle must have been the class clown growing up, and she still is!



At this point it was late at night, so we decided to put the cakes in a safe place and finish the rest in the morning.

The next morning I went to check on the cakes and I was horrified! The cakes had completely fallen apart! I have since thought of multiple reasons why this happened. The cake was too moist (even though it sure tasted good), the frosting too thick, the sides tapered in too much.... I could keep going. Let's just say I'll do it differently next time.



So here we were, the day of the party, and we had to go back to the drawing board! I decided to whip together a more simple two-tiered cake. I don't think I've ever made a cake so fast. Here is the final product.


I'm not going to give up on the topsy turvy cake. I just need another excuse to give it a try. I may have lost this battle, but I have not lost the war!

No comments:

Post a Comment