Saturday, October 1, 2011

Santa Monica Day Trip

Last weekend, Smithsonian Magazine was celebrating Museum Day by providing FREE tickets to any participating museum. I picked out an art museum in Santa Monica that we'd never been to. It turned into a wonderful little day trip for the family.

Before heading to the museum, we went to the 3rd Street Promenade for a little shopping while Gabriel took his nap in the stroller. They've added a fancy new outdoor mall section to the promenade. Here's a picture of the three stories of shops. I love the look with the palm trees, but I don't know what that black and white thing is. I hope it's not some sort of art piece, because I don't really like it.


After some shopping, we went to the Santa Monica Museum of Art. Upon entrance, we realized this museum is actually free every day! That's cool, but sad at the same time, because I thought I was getting something for free that normally costs money. Oh well.


There were multiple exhibits. Some we spent a considerable amount of time in and others we skipped all together. We mostly stayed away from the modern art. I think both Richard and I have a hard time understanding why two circles on a piece of paper is "art". We also noticed an alarming number of the artists seemed to gravitate toward pieces that, let's just say, were not appropriate for all any audiences. We shielded Gabriel's and our eyes and left those exhibits. Slightly disappointing, yet I wasn't surprised. Maybe it was the fact that we were in Santa Monica which made it not surprising.

One of the exhibits was a random collection of "practical art". They had several really cool chairs made of all recycled materials. They had chairs made from glass bottles, cardboard, and even quarters. This one I'm sitting in is made of corks. It was really comfy!


Another item we found was a little dog made of recycled newspaper. Isn't he cute?


I felt like I had to buy something to top off the trip. It's like a family trip to a museum wouldn't be complete without some cheep little thing from the gift shop, right? So I ended up purchasing this head massager. Oh, this thing is WONDERFUL! You move it around your head and all those little wiry things rub your scalp. It makes me want to relax and fall asleep. I love my new little gadget.

No comments:

Post a Comment