Friday, August 20, 2010

Changing the brakes on the Kia

After changing the front discs a few weeks ago, thought I would tackle the rear shoes on the Kia. I included a picture if you ever wondered what the insides looked like. I'm not much of a car maintenance guy so my friend Mark helped me out. Long story short, the shoes did not need replacing. There was just a lot of brake dust that was causing the squeaking. We did take the opportunity to repack the bearing. So far the brakes have been quiet and the car is stopping. That is a good thing. I still have the timing belt to do, but that is a horse of a different color. Think I may just pay to get it done (~$600) or roll the dice. Only driving 6 miles a day limits the probability. If we keep the car 4 more years that is another 8K miles. Total miles on car currently 64K. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. You're so talented! You can come live at my house any time! I never thought this car would be an investment, but it has really turned out that way. The car is definitely worth having the timing belt replaced. The question I can't answer is whether it's worth the brain damage to do it yourself or better to pay someone else to do it.

    ReplyDelete